Cholesterol lowering herbsare the way to go, and they are some of the best things you can use for lowering cholesterol naturally. Of all the cholesterol lower supplements, the herbs for high cholesterol and herbal medicine for cholesterol will be the most effective.
However, don’t get stuck only on leaves, but you will find that green tea and cholesterol have a unique relationship, the cinnamon cholesterol effects can be visible, using garlic to lower cholesterol is one of the best ways to go, you can lower cholesterol apple cider vinegar easily, and flax seed to lower cholesterol is almost as good as using red yeast rice and cholesterol supplements together.
There are many types of herbs that come in handy in your daily life, and you will find that you are surrounded by herbs of all flavors. Herbs like basil, thyme, and oregano add a bit of spice to your food, while tea leaves make your hot water tasty. You can use herbs like parsley and cilantro to give you a bit of a pep up, with many more of the green herbs will infuse your body with antioxidants.
Herbs are everywhere, and they are very effective in many different situations.
Herbs for High Cholesterol
The herbs for high cholesterol are very effective, and you will find that there are many cholesterol lowering herbs that you can take for lowering cholesterol naturally. Some of the best herbs for high cholesterol are:
- Artichoke Plant – The leaves of the artichoke contain a special type of fiber that will help to block the absorption of cholesterol in your body, and it helps to decrease the production of the nasty LDL cholesterol particles. You can stop your body from creating and absorbing the harmful lipoproteins, but it is not recommended to take this herb if you have problems with your gall bladder.
- Celery – Celery is a vegetable that has its place in just about every dish that you can make, but the leaves and stalk both have a very specific effect on cholesterol. You can seriously lower your LDL cholesterol by eating lots of celery, so fill your lunch box with celery sticks instead of potato chips if you want to deal with your cholesterol effectively.
- Skullcap – Skullcap is a unique plant that has been used for a number of herbal remedies, but a Japanese study showed that the plant can help to increase your body’s natural production of the beneficial HDL cholesterol. This means that taking skullcap will help your body to more naturally get rid of the cholesterol on its own.
- Soy – Japanese love all things soy, and this is one of the main reasons that they have one of the lowest cholesterol levels in the world. The FDA has stated that nearly any food containing soy products can help to decrease cholesterol, but it is food like tofu and soy protein that will be the most effective at helping you to control your cholesterol levels.
- Turmeric – Those who like a bit of Indian or Arabian cooking will know exactly what turmeric is, but this orange root is more than just a good taste in your meal. The root can actually help to decrease the cholesterol levels in your body, thus helping to decrease the risk of serious heart problems. Eating more chicken curry is a great idea, thanks to the health benefits of this amazing herb.
- Ginger – Ginger is an herb that is used in many an Asian dish to add a bit of flavor and tang, but it will help to cut back on your cholesterol levels as well as make your food taste great. You can take ginger tea to help fight sore throats and control cholesterol, or you can add it to your food to obtain the same cholesterol lowering effects.
These are just a few of the many cholesterol lowering herbs, but you might be surprised to learn just how much of an effect these herbs can have on your cholesterol levels if you add them to your food.
Cholesterol Lowering Herbs and Supplements
In addition to all the cholesterol lowering herbs, there are a number of cholesterol lowering supplements that you can take as well. If you are looking for ways of lowering cholesterol naturally, these herbs may be exactly what you need. They are all made with natural ingredients, thus sparing you many of the side effects of medication. There will be side effects, but you might be surprised to find that there are many great supplements that can help you to deal with your high cholesterol levels:
- Niacin – Niacin is a B-vitamin (B3) that is given as a supplement to deal with cholesterol, and it has proven to be one of the most effective. In fact, many doctors prescribe it along with medications, as the effects it has are more effective than most medications. What it does is increase the levels of the good cholesterol in your body, thus helping it to naturally fight the bad cholesterol on its own. There are a few negative side effects like pain, muscle breakdown, and a few others, so it is important that your use of the supplement is closely monitored by a doctor.
- Soluble Fiber – Soluble fiber is one of the most important things that you can give your body, as it is one of the things that will help to win the “War on Cholesterol Terrorism”. What it does is absorb a good deal of the bile that turns into cholesterol, and it helps to send the bile out the digestive systems waste disposal rather than spread through the body. It acts like a sponge, and thus is one of the most effective cholesterol prevention options. You can usually find soluble fiber in most whole grains and vegetables, but taking it in supplement form will make it even more effective.
- Plant Stanols – Plant stanols can usually be found in certain types of margarine, and this compound can help to cut down your cholesterol levels by as much as 10%. This doesn’t sound like much, but it can be very effective if combined with other supplements or medications. They are not usually used in the place of medications, however, but are simply an addition to the medications used.
These are some of the most popular cholesterol lowering supplements, though there are a few that you will learn more about below that have just as amazing an effect.
Herbal Medicine for Cholesterol
Herbal medicines have been around for millennia, as the ancient peoples of the world found that there were many plants, roots, and leaves that had amazing healing effects on the body. The herbal medicines below are all great cholesterol lowering herbs, and you may find that they can be very effective if taken in the right form:
- Chicory Root – Chicory root is often used to make a coffee-like brew, but the Chinese have used this root for years as a treatment for high cholesterol. The reason the herb works is that it helps to regulate the body’s natural metabolism of the cholesterol, thus stopping the high production of LDL cholesterol.
- Fenugreek – Fenugreek is an herb that has been used for millennia as an aid to digestion, but it can help to cut back on the sugar in your blood and reduce the amount of cholesterol in your body.
- Hawthorn Berry – Hawthorn berries help the stomach to work properly, and it will also have a positive effect on your spleen and liver. It will help to boost your body’s natural circulation, and will help to lower the levels of cholesterol in your body.
- Holy Basil –– This herb may sound absolutely divine, but the effects are much more mundane. The herb is native to the Indian subcontinent and Suriname, and it is one of the natural herbal remedies that help to control cholesterol levels. It can also help to reduce your blood sugar, and will counteract stress.
Amazing what just a few roots, leaves, and berries can do, isn’t it?
Cinnamon Cholesterol Effects
Cinnamon, when taken in small amounts, can help to lower your triglycerides, LDL cholesterol, and even your blood sugar. It won’t do anything to increase your HDL cholesterol, but it will reduce the bad stuff and help to keep your cholesterol levels regulated.
There have been conflicting studies saying that it both does and doesn’t work, but cinnamon is still considered by many to be one of the best spices to help you control your cholesterol.
Make sure to take the spice in moderation, as it is very strong and can have serious side effects if you take too much.
Green Tea and Cholesterol
The polyphenols (the antioxidants) in the green tea help to prevent the cholesterol from oxidizing (hardening into plaque) on the walls of your arteries, thus preventing atherosclerosis and heart problems. However, does green tea help to lower cholesterol levels?
The answer is: yes, but not as much as you might like.
All experts agree that the benefits of green tea are many and varied. The antioxidants in the green tea prevent the cholesterol from being absorbed by the body, but skeptics believe that the difference is too small to be considered a real benefit. There have been lots of studies done, and thee result showed that the change was indeed fairly minimal (2 percent decrease in LDL cholesterol, and no change in HDL cholesterol).
Still, it is a great idea to take green tea along with some of the other herbal remedies and supplements that you are taking, as every little bit counts when it comes to keeping your cholesterol under control.
Cholesterol Lowering Herbs: Garlic to Lower Cholesterol
Garlic is one of the most unique of the herbs in the world, as it has many amazing properties. It’s most remarkable properties is its ability to drive off vampires (real vampires, not the wimps from Twilight), but you will find that there are many health benefits as well.
Garlic doesn’t only make your food taste absolutely divine, but it also helps to kill a lot of the fungi and bacteria in your body thanks to its production of allicin. It can help to relieve some of your digestive problem, and it also reduces the risk of your blood forming dangerous clots. For those with high cholesterol, the prevention of blood clots is great, as the clots caused by the cholesterol near the brain and heart can be fatal.
However, when it comes to lowering cholesterol naturally, the jury is still out on whether or not garlic is one of the effective cholesterol lowering herbs. Studies have shown that garlic can help to reduce cholesterol, both triglycerides and total cholesterol. HDL cholesterol usually remained unchanged despite the garlic, while LDL cholesterol was only slightly lowered.
In addition, some researchers found that the dose of garlic was directly related to the reduction of cholesterol, i.e.; the more you take the more your cholesterol goes down. Some long term studies found that garlic only had a temporary effect on cholesterol levels.
In the end, it has been concluded that garlic can help to lower cholesterol, but it will not be the most effective of the cholesterol lowering herbs. It is recommended that garlic consumed along with other supplements and herbs, as the more you consume, the more effective it will be.
Garlic is also very strong, and it is recommended that you check with your doctor before taking any garlic supplements or eating more than a few cloves of garlic per day. Garlic can harm your liver and make your breath quite unpleasant, so make sure that you know what you are doing if you are going to take garlic to lower cholesterol.
Lower Cholesterol Apple Cider Vinegar
Another of the amazing supplements that you can take in order to stay healthy is apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar contains a lot of pectin, and pectin is one of the many things that can help to lower cholesterol.
The way apple cider vinegar works to lower your cholesterol is by filling your stomach with soluble fibers. As you can read above, soluble fiber helps to absorb all the cholesterol and prevents it from spreading around your body. When the fiber bonds with the cholesterol, your body sees it as something that needs to be eliminated rather than circulated around the body. Your digestive system then proceeds to send it out the waste chute, and your cholesterol is lowered effectively.
Another amazing thing about this soluble fiber found in apple cider vinegar is that it helps you to feel more full, as the soluble fiber absorbs water and fills your stomach. This means you will be much less tempted to eat, and the reduced desire to eat decreases your chances of snacking or stuffing the wrong high cholesterol foods in your mouth.
Apple cider vinegar is also believed to help neutralize the cholesterol in your body, as it contains lots of amino acids that stimulate the body to naturally get rid of the LDL cholesterol on its own. Even just taking one tablespoon of this amazing vinegar a day is enough to help you control your cholesterol.
Flax Seed to Lower Cholesterol
First, flax seed is rich with lignans. Lignans help to promote a healthy digestive tract, decrease blood cholesterol, and prevent heart problems.
Second, flax seed has lots of fiber, which is one of the main nutrients that help to fight the production and absorption of cholesterol by your body.
Third, flax seed contains lots of Omega 3 fatty acids, which is one of the best things you can take to help prevent cholesterol from building up on the walls of your arteries. It can help to cut down on the LDL cholesterol, increase HDL cholesterol, and lower your total cholesterol.
These simple seeds pack a punch, and you may find that taking flax seed to lower cholesterol is the way to go.
Red Yeast Rice and Cholesterol
Red yeast rice is an amazing Chinese herb that has been used both for its medicinal and food coloring properties for more than 1,000 years. It works just like a statin works, and helps to prevent the liver from producing cholesterol.
(If you want to learn more about red yeast rice, check out the Red Yeast Rice Cholesterol page to get all the information on this useful Chinese supplement)
Where Would You Like to Go Now
Want more information on a great diet to help you lower cholesterol? Check out the Cholesterol Lowering Diet page for more…
Find out if eggs really are all they’re cracked up to be on the Eggs and Cholesterol page…
What is Niacin, and how does it help your cholesterol? This and more on Niacin for Cholesterol…
Check out the Cholesterol Lowering Herbs page to find out how to lower cholesterol naturally…
Can’t get enough of seafood, but not sure if it’s bad for you? Shrimp and Cholesterol contains all kinds of unique facts you need to know…
What is red yeast rice? How does it affect my cholesterol? This and more on Red Yeast Rice Cholesterol…
Following the right Diet to Lower Cholesterol is the secret to improving your health…
Love to cook but hate to diet? Here are some Low Cholesterol Recipes and facts you need to know…
Not just low fat, but low cholesterol as well? Check out the Low Fat Low Cholesterol Diet page for the best foods to lower cholesterol…
Your Life-Changing Low Cholesterol Diet Plan page on good cholesterol foods …
10 Healthy Cholesterol Lowering Foods That Will Raise Your HDL Levels and Lower Your LDL Levels
Go to the top of this article about List of Cholesterol Lowering Herbs and Natural Supplements for a Healthy Body